Sooooo…. it’s been a while since I last posted! Life gets crazy sometimes… and last year, we bought a house! Who knew it would be this much work? (What? Everyone knew that except me?). But I have decided I want to start blogging again! So I am going to start with a swap I did last year
When I saw the zipper pouch swap on Instagram, I just had to join! I already shared the zipper pouch and the paper piecing pattern I made for the top. You can find the free pattern here! Today, I wanted to share the rest of the package I sent!
For my first extra, I used the Mini Raspberry Kiss Tutorial to make a deluxe pincushion from the book Sew Organized for the Busy Girl! This was my first time making this and I loved it!
My partner mentioned she liked tea- so I made her a tea wallet! This way, she can carry a few packets in her purse & keep it organized! I made my own pattern for this to fit the tea packets I sent her.
I lined the wallet with this awesome Alison Glass print! Also pictured: 1 very curious kitty!
Overall, I had a blast creating these! It was outside of my personal style- but I am so happy with how they turned out!
Until next time! (Hopefully not another year though!! 😉 haha)
I signed up for the Pillow Talk Swap on Instagram this year! My partner liked bright colors, high contrast, and radial patterns. So I designed a version of a Mariners Compass for her!
I drew up this design based on my partners inspiration mosaic. I then scanned my drawing into the computer and used Quilt Assistant to make it into a foundation paper piecing pattern! This is my first time designing my own paper piecing pattern, so this was a fun adventure!
I chose some topstitch quilting around the edges of each color. I wanted to keep the emphasis on the design. For the back, I pieced a simple design with a lapped zipper!
For the extras, I went with a blue & green theme (her favorite color combo and mine!). I started with a deluxe pincushion from the book Sew Organized for the Busy Girl. Instead of a 9 patch for the pocket, I made a mini Tallahassee block using the pattern from Quilter’s Cache.
For my next extra, I made a hexagon fabric tray using the tutorial from A Spoonful of Sugar. I appliqued on an English paper pieced star and did a little echo quilting on the inner!
For my last extra, I made a cute little patchwork key fob! Each stripe is only 0.5in wide! I used strip piecing to make this less fiddly
Overall, this swap pushed me to try a lot of new things! I made my own foundation paper piece pattern, played with much more contrast than I usually do, and came up with a design outside of my comfort zone! I absolutely loved this journey and I am glad my partner liked it! Until next time!
When I found out that my sister in law was having a baby girl, I knew I had to make the baby a quilt! I also decided to make her son a quilt as well! I even managed to finish in time for Christmas! These are my 3rd and 4th quilts ever, and I couldn’t be happier with how they turned out!
For the baby girl’s quilt, I decided to do some paper piecing! I used the awesome butterfly pattern from the Tartan Kiwi for the centerpiece of this quilt. This is the most detailed paper piecing I have done, and I love how it turned out! I added a pink border then a ring of pretty flowers! I didn’t use a pattern for these. I finished with white and purple borders!
For the border, I decided to do something a little fancier- but that I could still do with my walking foot. I used my Cricut to design and cut templates for these scallops & corners. I then traced these on with water soluble markers and quilted with my walking foot (and a lot of arm muscle! Now I know why people say they wrestle their quilts!).
I backed the quilt with the softest minky I have ever felt! I also loved how the minky showed the quilting on the back!
I also made a matching pillow! The butterfly pattern is also from the Tartan Kiwi.
I chose simple quilting 1/4 in from the seams. I also stitched in the ditch around the butterfly’s wings! I was happy to see that it matched the baby’s room perfectly!My nephew is 2.5 yrs old, so when I saw this awesome race car panel from Deborah Edwards I knew it would make a perfect play mat quilt for him! I bought 2 panels and cut off 1 side border from each. I then rotated one side by 180 degrees and sewed them together. That means this quilt had a whopping 1 seam! 😉
I kept the quilting simple and did a 1.5in crosshatch. This took way longer than I expected but I love it!
For the back, I used a cool car print that I got from the Missouri Quilt Company. I finished it off with checkered binding!
Here is my nephew enjoying his quilt on Christmas morning!
I loved making these and learned so much! I also can’t wait to start on my new projects for 2016! Until next time!